Google+

Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Two Years After a Decision

Two years ago today, I made the decision to start a healthier lifestyle.  I know making a decision is kinda like the five frogs but I actually got up off my rear and went for my very first walk.  It was a 1.7 mile walk in 30 minutes and I burned just 230 calories.  It wasn't much but it was all I could do at the time.  The next day I walked 1.6 miles in 31 minutes. When October 2010 was over I had walked 22 times and 48 miles.  I was so proud!

Now two years later, I logged 102 miles in September.  That was a record for me.  When I started this journey I would have never thought I would be running 3 miles at a time.  Now here I am running up to 15 miles at a time.  This has been a great journey and the lifestyle change has made all the difference in the world.

I didn't do this all alone.  I have had quite a few people that have come into my life and encouraged me and given me advice.  As I look back on some of my most recent group runs, I can remember some of the other runners standing around chatting and when I got back they would say, "How many did you do?"  I'd tell them and they'd all say, "Good job!"  It didn't matter if they had done the same amount as me in a lot less time it was still an accomplishment for me and they were truly proud too.  That's is what is so awesome about this sport.  I doesn't matter how fast your are or how long you went, there will be somebody that gives you a "Way to Go!"  It makes you feel good!

This last week, I had to slack off during the week because I my work schedule was really busy.  I got in a bad 2.25 miler on Friday afternoon but then Jeff and I got in a great 12 miler on Saturday morning.  I got up on Sunday to get out but then I decided that I wasn't going to go because I just didn't want to go.  This is the first time that I have actually not gotten out when I just did want too.  There are times when I just don't want to go that I get up and go anyway.  After it's done, then I'm glad a did.

I have less than four weeks until my first half and as I watch the days until get smaller and smaller I get more nervous.  I see the number of days and I get butterflies in my stomach and I wonder, "Can I do this?"  I'm sure this is normal.  The same thing happened as my first 5K was approaching but this race is much longer.  I've trained for this and as my friends, Jeff and Rob, say, "I've got this!"

That's going to do me for this week.  Hope you all have a great week and I'll see you again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment