Google+

Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Too Much Too Soon

This past week was a week of many challenges. I did have a good week overall. When I got off the road on Wednesday I was going to go to the gym that night but decided to wait until Thursday to go for a run outside. It had been a while since I had ran and the weather was going to be cooler Thursday morning. I left for my run about 9:00 and the temperature was a nice 70 degrees. By the time I had ran five and a half miles it had already hit 82 degrees. It was a good run until about an hour or so after.

I had no pain at all during the entire run but within an hour I was having some serious leg problems. I did a little research and found that it was my IT band and took some ibuprofen. That helped a little. Friday morning it was better and by Saturday morning it was gone. I did have another problem brewing though.

When I first started my journey to a healthier lifestyle I had gout in my left wrist. That was the second time in less than a year I had had it in that area. Before that I had gotten it in my right foot and ankle. This time it showed back up in my foot and ankle. It started just being a slight pain at first but by Saturday morning it was really hurting. I do have medicine that will keep my body from making uric acid so I started taking it. Unfortunately, it does get worse and then it gets better. It will probably take me another few days to get completely rid of it but it is better today.

With all the trouble that I am having I have slowed down a lot this month and have only ran 10.1 miles. I have still been exercising at the gym on the stationary bike. It’s not my favorite but it will do. I’ve been giving some of my running muscle a rest and working some of the other muscles.

There are lots of ways to keep from getting injured and you can find articles at Active.com and many more places online. The main reason for injury is “too much too soon”. I don’t think that is what caused me to have problems before but I think it was this time. I should have started back at two or three miles and worked back up to the six.

That’s going to do me for this week. Have a great week and I will see you again Thursday. It’s going to be a little late on purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment