Google+

Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

It's the Little Things that Count

We folks down here in northeast Mississippi couldn't complain one bit about the weather this past week except on Wednesday when I decided I was going to run down at Ballard Park in Tupelo.  I will get to that in a minute.

Since the first of the year I have lost a few pounds and some folks have asked what I'm doing.  I tell them I've been doing pretty much the same thing that I have been doing for over two years.  Sure I have my bad days when I just don't want to eat "healthy" but that one day isn't going to make me fat again anymore than eating right for one day will make you skinny.

My typical day starts off with a bowl of cereal with almond milk.  I changed over to almond milk about a month ago and I'm not going back to regular.  Not only does the almond milk taste better but I can save 140 calories over 1% milk.  That doesn't sound like much but that about a pound a month.

Lunch and Supper can be a lot of different things depending on if I have time to sit down and eat or not.  Most of the time while I'm on the road, I don't have time.  For most, this would mean stopping and getting a fast food meal but more time than not I fix my meal.  It could be a PB&J sandwich with a side of celery and strawberries.  I might open up a can of chicken and eat it with crackers and still have the celery and strawberries.  If I just want something hot then I'll go in somewhere and try to choose something that is healthy.  One of my favorites is Arby's medium roast beef.  I don't get fries but eat baked chips.

You don't always have to eat healthy but you can make choices over the course of the week that are better for you and you will take the weight off.  I believe also that you will feel better too.  Although my eating habits started to change over two years ago, I have made lots of changes in what I eat.  It's the small changes that really make a difference.

Now to my runs for the week.  I had a better week than I did the week before but Wednesday when hit the park, it was turning colder.  The high was supposed to be in the 40s but while I was running it started to sleet.  I think the farther I ran, the colder it got.  I had planned on running a 10K but stopped at 5K because I was rushed for time too.  My time was 31:58 (10:19 pace).

I skipped running on Friday because I knew I was going to go long on Saturday morning.  I set my alarm for 5 o'clock so I could be out on 350 by 6.  It didn't work out.  I turned back over and didn't get up.  I decided to just meet the group at 7.  I ran the entire 7.5 miles to the end of 350 and back and did it in record time for me.  I shaved 18 minutes off the last time I had ran 15 miles.  My time for the run was 2:45:04 and that's an 11 minute pace.  When I got to about 13.5, Koach went by and waved and then came back to make sure I was alright and be sure I didn't need any water.  Thanks Koach!

I started to skip my planned run on Sunday morning too but when I finished the 6 miles I was so glad that I didn't.  I tried to get someone from Facebook to go with me but I didn't have any takers so I didn't feel accountable to anyone.  I got up anyway and started about 15 minutes later than I had planned and went running on the Coke course.  I did it in reverse.  My body didn't want to do six miles but my mind was telling it that is was going to do it anyway.  I got to a spot that you can cut across and make it about 3.5 miles but when I got there I went right on past.  I had to walk a couple of times but when it was all said and done I had my 6 miles done in 1:05:58.  Again at an 11 minute pace.

Thanks for stopping by again this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment