Google+

Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

It's All about Shoes This Week

This has been a very exciting running week for me!  I got to run a total of four times.  My job brought me home Tuesday afternoon but the wind was blowing so hard and it was so cold that I decided to wait until Wednesday morning to run.  I finally got out the door around 8:00 and ended up with 9 miles at a 10:31 pace.

I went by Trails & Treads in Tupelo on my way to work and was talking with my friend, David, and he said, "You gonna leave here without buying anything?"  I said, "I'll be back soon for a pair of Saucony Kinvara 3's."  He said, "What size do you wear?"  I told him a 10 and he lead me over to the sales rack and sure enough, there was a pair of the Kinvaras on sale for 50% off.  That made them $50.  I couldn't pass that up.

Then on Friday, I went by Shoe Carnival in Tupelo and found of pair of the shoes that I started out wearing two years ago, the Saucony ProGlide Ride 3.  My last pair, the second pair that I've had, have almost 500 miles on them so it is time to retire them.  I've been waiting on a pair of these to go on sale at Amazon but they never did.  Well, at Shoe Carnival I found them for $50!  That still almost half off the regular price that I gave for them a couple of years ago.  The best thing was they are a cool color and not just blue and white.

After getting home on Friday, I had to take those Kinvaras out for a run.  I took it easy and got in 5.1 miles at a 10:36 pace.  I really didn't know if that was a really smart move or not because of my race on Saturday morning but I really wanted to try out those shoes.

Saturday was my most exciting run day.  Jason and I rode down to New Albany together for the Amanda Price 10K/5K.  The weather was supposed to be perfect but when we arrived it was cooler than we thought it would be.  At 9 o'clock the 10K started and we were off!  I started out a little faster than I wanted but the farther I ran the faster I got.  My second mile was actually my slowest and mile 6 was the fastest.  I finished the 10K in 1:02:02 and that is a 10:01 pace.  I was so excited because I've never ran that fast in a 5K much less a 10K.  It was great to PR!

I also met a local "celebrity" at the race.  I saw Janet and Steve and went over to talk with them and they were talking with a guy and he stuck his hand out to shake mine and introduced himself.  I told him my name and then it dawned on me who he was.  I was Joe Birch from Action News 5 in Memphis.  We visited with each other for 10 or 15 minutes and I have to say he is a super cool guy!  It was really a pleasure to meet him.

Although I didn't bring home any bling, I did bring home two trophies that nobody wants.  I had worn some low-cut socks and should have known better even though I have worn them in training.  Around mile 4 my socks had slipped and the back of my shoe started rubbing the back of my foot.  I didn't even check up and kept on running.  As soon as I finished, I had to take my shoes and socks off.  Thankfully I had taken some clean clothes and another pair of shoes too.

Since the time changed on Sunday morning, Jeff and I still got up and went for a Sunday morning run.  I didn't slow down for him but I did slow down for my benefit.  We ran 7 miles at an 11:06 pace and it was a little warmer than it was yesterday but it was still good to get in the run.  That made my total for the week 27.3 miles.  It's been a while since I've ran that much in a week.

Now after all of that, I have come to what I have known I was going to write about for the last few days.  I've seen many questions on Facebook asking, "What is the best running shoe?"  First, let me say, you can NOT pick your running shoes by their color.  If you do, you are making your first mistake.  Second, if you ask a runner what the best running shoe is then he/she will tell you about what they are wearing.  I cannot tell you the best shoe for you is Saucony.  The best way to get the right shoe for you is to go to a running store and be fitted and try on different name brands and see which ones you feel the best to you.  I like pretty colors too but I never buy my shoes with color in mind unless I've worn them before and I can get them in a different color like I did the Ride 3 this week.

I know this ran kind of long this week but thanks for stopping by and visiting and hope to see you again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment