Google+

Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

What I Have Gotten Out of Running

I actually wanted to write this post last week but life happens and so does work. The last couple of weeks have been busy but I did manage to get in some runs. The week of March 10 I got in 24.2 miles. I was home one day and got to go for a nice 5 miler and my long run was a half marathon. Jeff and I slowed down for our "new" running buddy even though he has run with us before. Jamey got back out there after taking some time off and it was nice to get in a 6 miler with him Sunday morning (March 17).

I didn't run as many miles this past week as I would have liked but I did get in just over 14 miles.  I got home Thursday and got to run 7 miles.  Saturday was an exciting day.  I got to run for a little boy at the Booneville City Park.  His name is Brett and the name of the race was Brett's SuperHero 5K.  Since I'd never run at the park before I really didn't know what to expect.  It was a great course.  I ended up finishing with a PR of 30:40 (9:54 pace)!

Now to the title of my post.  Some of the things I have gotten are obvious.  Things like losing weight and getting to the point that I can run for a while without walking.  Some things you can't see.

The best thing that I have gotten out of running are my running friends.  Everyone knows that friendship is something that can't be bought.  I have made many friends over the last year and enjoy seeing them when we are out for a group run.  Some of my Facebook running friends I have never meet.  I am part of a group of trucking runners and we encourage each other daily.

Of course, the Lunatic Fringe group is my favorite group and its made up of some of the most awesome people I've ever met. I could name each one and tell you about them but then this post would be too long.

Another thing I've gotten out of running is that my diet has changed so much. When I started this journey I couldn't believe how many calories I was putting in my body. Now that I am a little wiser, I try to make better choices in what I eat. I feel I am much better educated about the foods I choose to eat.

The last thing, that I want to write about today, that I've gotten out of running is confidence. At the beginning I would have never thought I could run one mile. Ice made lots of little changes and have set many goals along the way.. I have accomplished everyone of those goals but I'm not finished yet. I still set goals monthly and yearly. I am confident that if I set my mind to it I can get it done.

Thanks for dropping by this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment