Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Running for Boston

I know if you haven't heard about the happenings that occurred at the finish line of the Boston Marathon early last week then you have been living under a rock and have randomly come across my blog.  I am not going to rehash all that went on but I do want to share with you a couple of links at the end of this post.  Both are the blog post of two ladies that I have only met one time each but since are both runners I feel like they are family.  Both of them ran the Boston Marathon and I was following both of their progress with regular text messages that were sent out.  When I heard about the explosion at the finish line, I knew that one of them had already finished and one should have been close to the finish.  I was worried for both of them because I thought that the one that had finished might have been waiting on the other.

Before I share those links to their post, I want to share with you about my running week.  I did get to run three times but it was three days in a row.  I ran Friday after I got home because I just had to run.  I did an easy 4 miles even though I knew I was going to run long on Saturday morning on 350.  Jeff and I met a couple of others early and ran 2 miles before we met the rest of the group at our normal starting time.

Jeff and I had planned to run 15 but when we got to the first water stop we had to decide which way we were going to go from there.  We talked about going up the ridge road but we would need hydration before we got back.  We thought about going straight but that would have us running 17 miles.  We decided to go up the ridge road anyway and would have to run a total of 16 miles, including the two that we did earlier.  That was the worst run that I have had in a long while.  It had been almost two months since my last 15 miler but I've been running 12-13 almost every weekend since.  I didn't feel so hot on that day.  The first 12-13 were good but those last 3 or so were bad.  I had to walk a lot of the last part.  When I finally got back to the starting point I had 16.1 miles and was physically and mentally exhausted.  I don't think I could have ran another 100 feet.  I just wanted to get some food and relax.  That is exactly what I did when I got home.  I fixed some cream of wheat and some 100% fruit juice.

On Sunday, I slept in but Jeff and I did run again in the afternoon.  We both ran 7 miles and it was better.  We met on the road and just ran in a big loop that took us back by his house and around the Coke course.  It was a great run.  It was our "Runners Unite for Boston" run because neither of us was going to be able to attend and event that was going to happen on Monday evening.  I ended the week with 27.1 miles in the books.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you will click on the following links and read what Heather and Roan had to say about their experiences at the Boston Marathon.

Diary of the Duleys-This is Heather's post titled "This Weekend"
Joyful Always-This is Roan's post titled "My Boston Marathon Experience"

No comments:

Post a Comment