Google+

Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Tips to Living a Healthy Lifestyle

This is one post that may make some people mad but it is the honest truth.  Lately, I've seen lots of people posting recipes of what I think would be some really tasty foods.  I've also noticed post about how some have been taking this pill or using this product for weight loss and they have lost X number of pounds.  Although there is nothing wrong with using a weight loss product, how long can you keep on using that product?  Most people will use the product until they have lost a certain number of pounds and then they go right back to what they were doing before that and gain all the weight back and then some.  I know this to be true because I have been there and done that myself.

There is a guaranteed way for you to lose weight and keep it off.  First thing you have to do is STOP EATING JUNK!  Start eating real food.  A frozen dinner out of a box is not real food!  A candy bar is not real food!  Start eating fresh fruits.  It really doesn't matter what fruit you choose.  I like strawberries, grapes, apples, dates and bananas.  Those are my "go to" fruits.  Eat veggies.  I have read articles that say it doesn't matter if they are fresh or frozen, just eat them.  I have lots of favorite vegetables and will eat most of them except for broccoli.  I do like cauliflower though.  If you have to use canned vegetables, you can lower the sodium content by up to 40% by pouring off the water and then rinsing them again with water.

The second thing you need to do it get up off the couch and move!  We spend way too much time in front of the television or computer.  I have said it before and I'll say it again, "If you can find time to watch tv then you can find time to exercise."

Now with that said, I'm going to off you some tips on how to live a healthy lifestyle.  I have actually stolen these from an article that I came across last week and will include the link near the end.

Tip #1-Keep a Food/Exercise Journal

Keeping a food and exercise journal will make you think twice about putting that Snicker bar in your mouth because you know that you'll have to write it down.  I kept a food journal with Lose It the first five or six months and I did think twice.  If you share your journal with someone, you don't want them to see that you have eaten real food all day and at the end of the day you ate that candy bar.  Keeping a journal will also allow you to track your progress and you'll be able to set goals and know if you are reaching them or not.

Tip #2-Stopping Eat Late

This was a challenge for me.  I would get up in the middle of the night sometimes and fix me a big glass of chocolate milk and eat a Little Debbie cake or whatever we had in the house.  It took me a little while before I broke this habit but then again, I knew I would have to write it down.

Tip #3-Eat Breakfast

In my opinion and from what I have read over the last 2-1/2 years, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  I think I can honestly say that I have not had breakfast in all this time.  Before I started making changes, I would sometimes not eat until 2 or 3 hours after I got up and by then I was so hungry that I could eat a horse and would eat anything that I had in the truck.  You don't have to eat a big breakfast.  Even something small is better than nothing.

Those are my tips and you can see those and more by clicking here.

This past week was just as busy as the last two weeks and I only got to run on Saturday and Sunday.  I met some of the Lunatics at the Whistling Dixie Cafe after their run but before mine.  My plan was to run from our starting place but run the opposite direction back to the house.  I got about 3.5 miles into my run and decided it was just too dangerous to run on that part of the highway.  I called and got a ride before I got ran over.  In fact, I almost got run over twice before I called and another time before I was picked up.  I ended up getting just 4.74 miles at a 10:33 pace.

I decided that I was going to run long on Sunday morning and I did.  I left my house and ran to Jeff's house and we ran around town.  We had a great time in the just over 8 miles and then I had to get back to the house.  I ended up with 12 miles at a 10:44 pace.

Please keep in mind, that I'm not a doctor and an expert in weight loss.  I am just an ordinary guy that has lost some weight and I have kept it off.  You should consult your doctor before beginning any weight loss or exercise program.  Thanks for stopping by this week.  I'd love to hear your comments about this post.  Have a great rest of the week and I'll see you again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment