Google+

Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Snack Time

I hope everyone had a wonderful Independence Day last week and got some great running or exercise in while you were on vacation, if you were off.  I wasn't off but did manage to get in just over 28 miles for the week over three days.  I ran 7.25 on Monday, 6 on Thursday and 15 on Saturday.  I was really proud of Saturday's run too because I was out with my new friend, Steve, and he set a new personal best for distance.  We had a great time chatting and running together.

Three weeks ago, I wrote about some healthy things you can eat instead of the "junk" food that you'd normally eat and how to save on calories.  This week, I want to cover another subject that I was asked about right after that and it concerns snacks.  I was asked what I snacked and gave a brief answer and thought I'd cover it here for a more drawn out answer.

One of my favorite things to snack on is a banana.  They normally only have between 90-105 calories so that is a nice snack and they full of things that your body needs.  Here is a link to some nutritional information.

My next go to thing is an apple.  I generally buy the kind that are already sliced because they are almost as cheap that way and I don't have to worry about cutting them up and getting rid of the core.  They kind that I get have only 80 calories and have the same amount of fiber, which keeps you full longer, and less carbs than the banana.  Here is a link for the nutritional information of apples.

Next on my list are cherries.  I try to get these on sale because they can be expensive.  I bought some this last weekend for $2.25 a pound and that is about the right price range.  However, I have seen them as high as $4.95 a pound too.  Here is a link for the nutritional information of cherries.

Now sometimes we can always eat fresh fruit and have to eat "out of a box".  What are some healthy choices there?  Yogurt is my go to snack mainly because it has so much protein.  Next on the list is a PB&J sandwich.  I normally will eat a whole sandwich but if it has been a while since I've eaten and I am going on a run I will eat only a half.  I make my sandwich with Nature's Own Honey 7 Grain bread and either grape, blueberry, or strawberry Simply Fruit.  I don't eat "regular" jelly because it has HFCS in it.  I have used the "natural" jelly but only buy the grape because the first ingredient of the strawberry jelly is SUGAR!  Sugar is natural but do you really want it to be the first ingredient, which means there is more of it than any other thing listed after.  When I get bread, I always choose a bread that doesn't have HFCS.

What do you like to eat for your snacks?  Please leave your comments below.  Thanks for stopping by and I will see you again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment