Google+

Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Five Frogs

I struggled with the decision to write this particular post or not. I will be the first to say: I am writing this to myself as much as I am to you. I have been there and done that.

I read an article on Active.com a couple of weeks ago and it started out with a question. "There are five frogs sitting on a log. One decided to jump. How many frogs were left?"

I would have said four but that wasn't the correct answer. The correct answer is five. The fifth frog only decided to jump. That doesn't mean that he jumped.

We often times at the beginning of the year decide that we are going to do things different but then we never "get around to it". After we decided to do something we have to take action too.

One of the many excuses we make for not getting up and starting an exercise program is, "I don't have enough time." Have you made that excuse? I know I have. Let me ask you a question. How much television are you watching a week? If you skipped watching and went out and walked for 30 minutes three times a week, are you really missing something that important? We all have the number of hours in a day but how we spend those hours is determined by our priorities.

One other excuse that I've heard and have used as well is, "I'll start tomorrow." Today is today and tomorrow never gets here. There is no better time to start forming new habits that right now.

I had to decide to get up off my butt and start doing something about my health and I'm glad that I didn't wait until the new year. Why? Because I am three months ahead of where I would have been if I would have waited.

These principle can be applied to any area of your life. It doesn't matter if you want to start exercising, reading your Bible daily, eat healthier or any of a number of other things.

Yesterday when I got up to go for my run, I checked the weather and it was 45 degrees. I decided on a pair of shorts and a short sleeve t-shirt. When I walked out the door the cool air hit me and I turned around and put on a pair of sweat pants. I could have used the cool weather as an excuse to go back to bed but I didn't. I enjoyed my entire run and glad that I got it done.

This past Saturday was beautiful. I went to the walking track in my hometown of Walnut, MS, and got in four miles. I was sweating big time too but it was a good run.

This past week I only lost .4 pounds but I'm satisfied with that because I did eat quit a bit and had some longs days. I may not reach my goal on the date that I wanted to but I will reach my goal. My total weight lost some far is 30.8 pounds.

I had a great month on mileage too. It will end up the month of January with 57.9 miles. I'm still amazed at how much I accomplished this month.

That's going to do it for me this time but do remember that this post was as much for me as it was for you. I can't point a finger at anyone without pointing it at myself because I have been there. I have made excuse after excuse as to why I couldn't exercise but in my life I have no more excuses.

4 comments:

  1. Great blog Jeremy. I am one of those that didn't get it together until January and I have to make myself get out there four days a week, but I feel so GREAT after I do it. It also makes me feel better all around. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me about 3 weeks into the new year, but I love getting to the gym at 5:30am and having it out of the way the rest of the day. If I do sleep in I make sure to get in later in the day. I am down 3 pounds in the last week! Keep up the great work Jeremy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment, Cokestitcher. Congrats on starting on your way to a healthier life. Sometimes I wonder if it is worth it but I know in the long run (no pun intended) it will be.

    Rob, thanks for your comment too. I'm proud of you and glad you can get up that early in the morning. I don't like getting up at 6:30 to get to the gym but sometimes I just have to because of my schedule.

    You both keep up the great work and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one! I finally decided I was the one who was going to have to make the change, no one else was going to do it for me!

    ReplyDelete