Google+

Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

You Never Know Who You'll Meet

Last Sunday when RunKeeper posted my run from that morning I hinted that I'd be writing about it. That is what I'm doing today and also going to add a little extra to it that I didn't expect at the time that I posted that.

For the record, most of the time I do write my blog post a day or two ahead of time and I may miss some little details that would have otherwise been in the post had a written it when I wanted it posted. That would be good but sometimes I have a busy schedule and have to write when I can. Now that's out of the way.

Last Sunday I got up early like I normally do and headed out. Instead of going to the gym that day, I decided to go to the city park. On the third lap I got back almost to where some people parked and I saw a guy stretching. As I got nearer to that area he shouted, "Man, you are wearing me out just watching you!" I told him that I still had a ways to go and he asked, "How many are you doing?" I said, "An hour twenty-five."

When I got back around I met him just as he started walking. He was about to ask me a question so I stopped. We chatted for a minute or so and as I was going to turn around anyway, I decided to walk with him for a bit.

I found out his name was Will and he had joined Weight Watchers. He had started on his journey to get healthy and lose weight. I encouraged him and told him that he could do it and told him a little of my story and how I was losing my weight. Just as in this blog, I love to share where I was and where I am at right now on my personal journey.

I do know people that if they saw a big person out on the track they would make fun of them. Here is the fact of the matter: You shouldn't make fun of anyone. It doesn't matter how big they are or even how slow they are going. You don't know where they have been or if this is their first day out. We all have to start somewhere.

Another thing that happened this week was that I got to visit with my friend, Rob. We went and had lunch at Cafe 212 in Tupelo and walked around downtown for a little bit to burn a few calories. I also got to meet Carlie for the first time at Cafe 212.

We decided to go and scope out the area around Veteran's Park because we are planning on running a 5K in that area in June. It will be Rob's first official run and hopefully my third.

After we had walked and talked for a while trying to solve the world's problems, it was time for me to go back to my truck. I had to have some work done on it and wanted to make my time productive. I did.

I forgot to tell you about the distance from last Sunday. It was my longest run to date. It was 6.23 miles in 1:18:36. That was slower than normal but I did slow down and walk with Will for about a mile and I'm glad I did.

Thanks for stopping by again for the second time this week and hope to see you again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment