Google+

Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Proud of My Sister

This past Saturday had to be the best day that I have had since the beginning of my running and weight loss journey. The Coke 10K was held in Corinth, MS, and I ran it along with 1290 other people. I enjoyed every minute of the run and even had a couple of conversations with other runners.

My sister, Chiquita, my friend, Rob, and I all walked from my house down toward the start line and hung around looking for other people that we knew. I did a little warm up shortly before the gun went off so was ready to go. My sister and I started out side-by-side but quickly separated because she’s a walker.

There was plenty of water on the course along with some volunteers handing out wet paper towels in a couple of spots too. I was amazing all of the volunteers coming together and help pull this event off. I’m thankful for them because without them we wouldn’t have race so I was glad these folks came out.

I had decided that I was going to give an all out effort at the six mile mark and I did. When I made the last turn I noticed that my shoe had come untied and I wasn’t about to stop and tie it. As I was approaching the finish line the announcer called out my name and then I saw my family. I gave them a quick wave and then crossed the finish line. I picked up a few things to snack on and returned to where my family was. I then called my sister to see where she was and then went back to meet her.

As I was making my way back, I clapped for the other runners/walkers and cheered them on. It fells good to be cheered on and I wanted to give them that feeling too. I finally saw my sis and then walked the last quarter mile or so with her. I got her so far and when I couldn’t go any father with her I saw she sprinted the rest of the way. I was really proud of her. She ended up finishing in 1:41:04.

It was a great day for a run and I ended up finishing in 1:10:57. That was a lot better than I wanted but I know the crowd and other runners helped me.

Thanks to Rob I have video of my finish and you can see it below. Thanks for stopping by this week and will see you again next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment