Google+

Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Running in the Heat

I know it has been hot for the last few weeks and getting out in the heat isn’t my idea of fun. It has taken me a while to get to where I can run as fast in the heat now but I still get out early and get it out of the way. The last week, Active.com had an article named 10 Tips for Hot Summer Runs. I’m not going to repeat the entire article here but I am going to share a couple of them and how I have being dealing with the heat.

Acclimatize

It takes time for the body to adjust to the heat and humid weather and you need to take your time. Koach have a tip a while back that it takes 10-15 run out in the heat to get adjusted. I’m not sure I have adjusted but I am get a little faster and getting plenty of water too. This is my first summer out in the heat and I’m trying to take it easy. I’m so ready for the cooler weather to get here.

Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate!

We all know that we need to drink plenty of water during and after our runs but we also need to make sure we are well hydrated before we go out too. The article suggest drinking 16 ounces of water about two hours before your run. I normally don’t follow that suggestion because I do most of my running first thing in the morning, sometimes before I eat breakfast.

Two more things it suggest is that you carry or stash water/sports drink if you are going to be running longer than four miles and don’t wait until you feel thirsty to drink. If your run is shorter than 60 minutes then you should be fine with water but more than that you to use a sports drink or sports gel to keep from running low on important electrolytes.

If you’d like to see the full article then be sure to visit this link. Thanks for stopping by and I’ll see you again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment