Google+

Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Taking Personal Responsibitly

All I can say is that it has been a really busy time for me the last few weeks and getting in a workout has been hard sometimes. I have been having to get up early in the morning and get it out of the way in order to get it done.

I failed to mention last week that I had reached another milestone this year and that is that I have walked/ran 300 miles this year. That may not seem like a lot for some but for someone that has only been doing this for nine months I think I am doing pretty good. I also had more miles last week than I have had in quite a while. In June I only ran 15.3 miles in 3:10:37 but this month I have already ran 14.2 miles in 2:53:34. I am ready.

What I’m not so ready for is the heat. I have struggled the entire summer so far but I am getting faster. I ran 3 miles this past Friday at an 11:37 pace and another 3 miles Saturday at 11:30. I ran them down at the park and it was hot. Saturday morning I got up and it was 75 degrees with 100 percent humidity.

Now on to my topic for this week. There has been a lot of talk in the media about the government regulating the advertisements aimed at children. One area of our country has even banned the sale of the Happy Meal at McDonald’s because it has a toy in it. Do we really need the government telling us where we can eat and what we can eat? Isn’t going to the fast food place a personal choice? Nobody makes me go into McDonald’s and order fries with my meal. I know eating too much fast food will make me fat. Oh, did you know that you can order a Big Mac without fries? You don’t have to order the combo.

This not only goes for the fast food places but even when we go to the grocery store. We choose to buy the food we take home with us and if it is all chips, cookies, and sugared soda then we must take personal responsibility for buying it. While I am in the aisle with the water, no one is there telling me that I have to buy a soda on the other side. I choose to buy water and not soda.

I am not aiming this post to anyone except those that complain about being big and then don’t do anything about it. I can write about this because I used to be one of those people. I got tired of being overweight and decided to do something about it. I still go to McDonald’s and other places like that but when I gain a pound or two I know what I need to do to get it off again. I am determined not to go back to my starting weight and keep what I’ve lost off. I have worked too hard.

I will get off my soapbox now and hope I will see you again here next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment