Google+

Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Foam on the Legs

I didn't get much running in this past week but ended the week with 14.4 miles. I got home on Thursday and decided I was going to tackle the heat. I wen town to the city park and the heat beat me. I only got in 1.5 miles but I guess that's better than nothing.

Saturday I went out to highway 350 again with the group. It was humid but a little cooler than the previous Saturday. I finally got to the water stop in record time and decided I was going to turn around there. I was still about 3 miles away from the start when I looked down and saw white foamy stuff running down my leg. It scared me at first and I just wiped it off and went on. At the time, I thought it was just soap from my shorts not getting rinsed good enough. I searched for "foaming sweat while running" and came up with this article. It doesn't say if it was bad or not but it could explain why I didn't have any fuel left when I did finish my 7.8 mile run. the best I could gather is I was dehydrated.

I went out and ran 5 miles Sunday a little later than normal and it was still hot. The important thing is that I got it done.

I told you I was going to tell you about a site that was similar to another one I still use but only so it last week's website will retrieve my runs and give me points. The old website is RunKeeper. This week's website is MapMyRun. it basically does the same thing as RunKeeper but the site has a lot more features. The one I like the best is that you can see a calendar view of all of your workouts and it will tell you how much of a difference you have had from week to week in percentage.
Let say you ran 25 miles last week and only 20 miles this week. It will show you as having a -20% difference. You can also choose what day of the week your running week starts on. My running week starts on Monday.

One of the best things about the site is the fact you can import from different sources. You can use a file or a device. I can speak to how the Polar import is but with the Garmin you don't even have to export your run from Garmin Training. It takes it directly from the program that receives the run from the watch so it's one less step than RunKeeper.

The reason I think MapMyRun may be better is that RunKeeper tends to give you a lot more distance. Also, after importing your runs into RunKeeper, you should be able to see them on your smartphone. For about two months now, the RunKeeper app only shows straight lines for your run and doesn't follow the actually path. I thought they would have fix it in the app by now but they haven't. Old runs still have the path but newer ones have straight lines.

That's going to do me for this week. Next week I will be reviewing a device I've been using for over a month now and it's a great tool to use if you want to lose weight. You can also use it in conjunction with Earndit.com, MapMyRun and my favorite weight loss site, LoseIt.

No comments:

Post a Comment