Google+

Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

The Last Event

Had another great week of running but I was a little disappointed with my time in the Shake Rag Half.  I started out my week by getting a good 7 miler in on Monday morning before I had to leave out for work.  When I returned home on Friday, I ran a very easy 4 miles.  The reason I say it was a "very easy" run was because I stopped about two and half miles in and talked to some friends that live on the route that I took.

I really shouldn't be disappointed with the Shake Rag because it was all my fault.  I didn't do something that I should have.  I got up early to make the drive to Tupelo and only ate a bowl of cereal before I left.    About 15 minutes before race time, I had a GU gel.  That is what I did before my half two weeks ago.  The thing I didn't do this past Saturday was I just didn't eat enough.  I felt really strong the first 9-10 miles of the race but then I started getting really hungry and then I my energy level just when to nothing.  I had to walk most of the last two miles but I did run across that finish line!

About three and a half miles into the race, I was approaching a left turn.  I glance down once in a while to see the road but mostly while I run, I look straight ahead so I can breathe better.  As I approached the turn, the toe of my shoe caught the pavement (I think it was broken and had buckled up) I stubbled and was about to hit the ground when I regained my balance.  I think I heard the police officer yell but when I raised up, I raised my hands in the air and said, "I'm alright!"  I thought it was funny and I'm glad I didn't hit the pavement.

My official time was 2:45:38.

I really enjoyed seeing my friends on the course on their way back and getting to cheer for them.  Especially Jenni Lambert, who was running her first half.  Another good thing to see was my friend, Rob.  As I was coming in toward the finish line, I looked up and recognized him and that made me feel a lot better.  I almost didn't recognize him because he was all bundled up in a jacket and hat.  Rob, thanks for being there!

We, the runners, couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day than we had.  I'm not sure what the temp was at the start but when I looked at the weather at 5:30am it was 39 degrees and it was supposed to be 51 at start time.  I'm so glad the cooler weather has gotten here and maybe it will stick around for a little while.  I guess the hot weather is out friend too because it helps us to be able to run faster when it does cool off.

Since the Shake Rag was my last event of the year and one of the reasons I started writing here again, I had thought about ending it again until I start training again for another race.  I'm not going to do that because I think I have so much more to share with all of you while I'm still on this journey.  I really no longer feel that it's a journey but a lifestyle.  I've enjoyed getting to where I'm at even though the road has been hard at times.  The hard times are really what makes us stronger and gives us the determination to keep going.

One last thing before I go.  This past week the date for the Andrew Jackson Marathon, Half, and 5K was announced.  It is going to be on March 16, 2013.  Right now I'm planning on this being my first event of 2013.  This is where I did my first 5K and I had a great time.  You can read about it here.

Thanks for stopping by this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment