Google+

Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I'm Not a Fast Runner but...

Had a great week running this last week.  I still only got to run two days (Saturday and Sunday) but both days were great.  The weather was a little cool on Saturday at 30 degrees but later in the day it did warm up.  I woke up on Sunday with a nice 49 degrees and hit the pavement.

My run Saturday wasn't on the hilly highway 350 because I was still dealing with some knee and leg issues.  I decided to stay on more level ground and take it easy.  I ended up running 8.25 miles at an 11:25 pace.  I'm hoping it will be one of the last time I have to put on those running pants that I got for Christmas.  I love the pants but would rather have on shorts.

My run on Sunday morning was even better.  I set out to run 10K and did just that.  By the time I was finished I had ran a PR and did negative split too!  I ran the first mile at 11:19 and the last full mile at 10:24.  My total time was 1:07:02. That's a pace of 10:49!

As I was running Sunday morning, I was thinking about what I was going to write about this week and it came to me out of the blue.  Although this blog is for everybody, some of the post are for the one just starting out.  Some websites are for more advanced runners but I write about my experiences and hopefully that helps to encourage the ones that are just starting out.

I think back to the time when I first started to walk and thought that my pace was so slow.  It was for a "fast" runner or walker but it wasn't for me.  I thought if I could walk a mile in 18 minutes I was doing good.  As I progressed into running, I found that I could walk/run faster with the same effort.  As a beginner, I wanted to run so bad.  Every time I tried running it was out of breathe in a few seconds.  I hadn't built up a base yet and it was too soon.  Many times a beginner will start out running as fast as they can and when it starts to hurt they stop.  Unfortunately, if they are sore the next day, they tend to not want to go back out there and do it again.  Soreness is going to be part of it but you don't want to be so sore that you can't walk.  I remember my muscles being sore.  I'd get back out there and do it again and again and eventually I didn't get sore.

As a more mature runner now, I run by effort and not always for pace.  Sunday morning when I did the negative splits, I wasn't even trying.  I did feel like I was stronger as I went along.  The rain did help a little bit too.  I guess what I'm trying to communicate in this post is that it is better to walk/run by effort unless you are doing speed work.

Thanks for stopping by and hope to see you again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment