Google+

Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Rain, Rain, Go Away

The race shirt & medal
This past weekend has got to be one of the most exciting weekends, if not the most exciting, in the city of Corinth, Mississippi.  Streets are blocked off, you aren't allowed to park on certain streets after 5pm on Friday, and the finish line has been assembled and looks marvelous!  It was the weekend of the 32nd Coke 10K!  This was my third year to run this great race and we couldn't have asked for more perfect weather.



Friday night some of us gathered at Pizza Grocery and had a great dinner together.  It is always good to get together with other runners and their families and get to know each other.  As we were discussing the weather outside, we were kind of worried about how the weather was going to be at race time.  During dinner, it was raining and didn't seem like it was going to stop anytime soon and it had turned off cold too.  I finally got to bed that night after putting out my running clothes for the next day.  I didn't really know what to wear so I laid out short sleeve and a long sleeve shirts.

Michael kissing Shrek?
After waking about 5:30, I checked the weather and the rain had moved out and there was 0% chance of rain at race time.  Jeff and I had decided we were going to run a little before the race and get warmed up.  I'm glad we did because it was cold.  During our run, I wore a long sleeve shirt but had carried two other shirts with me to change into because I knew I'd be wet from running just a little.  After we finished 3 miles, we knew we were going to be needing a short sleeve shirt and not the long sleeve.

Before the race, I had two or three people come up to me and introduce themselves and told me that they had been following me either on here or on my Facebook page.  Of course I thanked them for reading and we stood around and chatted for a few.

Jeff and Me
I really didn't know how well I was going to do but after the horn sounded, we were all off!  So many people were passing me and I knew I had started too far in the front.  After the first two miles, I started to pass some of those that had passed me earlier.  At the 5K mark I knew I was on pace to get a PR and I didn't want to slow down.  I continued on and when I crossed the finish line had a time of 1:01:16!  That was 46 seconds faster than my previous PR!  I was proud!

Post race was great too!  I had heard that many folks had set new PRs and some runners I knew won trophies.  The weather was just right for running and much better than it was last year.  I won't go into much detail about last years race since I wasn't blogging at the time, but let's just say it was a little warm.

Later in the evening, the rain moved back in and it was still raining Sunday morning.  I used the rain Sunday morning as an excuse to not run and hoping I get a chance to run during this week.  I ended the week with almost 15 miles and finally made passed the 300 mile mark for the year. My goal this year is 1,000!

Thanks for stopping by this week and I hope you have great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment