Google+

Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

How Do You Define Success?

Last week I had to deliver in Arlington, TX, and while a couple of guys and I were unloading the furniture, one of them says, "What is the secret to your success?"  He just says it out of the blue and I told him I'd have to think about that for a few minutes.  I'm not sure how much of a "success" I am as a truck driver but I thought about the question the rest of the week and how it applies to lots of areas in life.  I believe we all define success different.  Acquiring lots of money may be one person's definition and define it as having what he/she needs.

Today, I want to look at the question like a runner.  I'm sure some of these could also apply to other areas of life as well.  The first thing that comes to mind is "Always be nice to others."  When I first began this journey, I was almost on my own.  I only knew a few runners and really didn't know what to ask.  I hope they didn't get tired of answering my question but they'll never know how much they helped me along the way.  As began to gain knowledge, I was better able to help others.  I still don't know everything, and never will, but I can probably point you to someone who does know the answer.

The second thing that I thought of is "Be patient."  Again, when I first started, it was hard for me to slow down and not do too much too soon.  I wanted to walk just a little farther and do it a little faster.  I wanted to be out there everyday and not take rest days.  I'll never forget when I was about to run my first 5K and saw the start of the half marathon.  I was pumped and felt like I could run 13.1 miles!  I really couldn't but at the time I felt like I could.  It would take me just over a year to run that distance at one time.  Since I am following a training program right now, I am sure I will have trouble not going longer than my plans says.  For example, on August 31st, my plan calls for an 8 mile run.  It has been a while since I've only ran 8 miles on a Saturday.  I will enjoy it because that is my shortest long run.

Thirdly, the "secret" to my success is to help others.  It kind of goes along with the first one but this is a ways to pay it forward.  I've had so many people that have helped me over the last three years and the best thing is the many friends that I have made along the way.  I am thankful for those and also thankful for you that read this blog week in and week out.

Am I the fastest runner? No! Am I successful runner?  In my book, YES!  I've never placed in a race but the feeling you get when you cross that finish line isn't something that you can experience anywhere else.  I love crossing that finish line no matter the distance.  I also love the feeling I get when I go farther than I ever have.

My first week of marathon training is in the books and I logged 24.1 miles running and 21.3 miles on the bike.  I had planned for only 20 miles but got in 4 extra miles last Monday morning before I had to go to work.

Thanks for stopping by this week and I'll see you back here again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment